SPARC Live CD?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Dec 20 11:20:52 EST 2006

On 12/20/06, Neil Joseph Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 09:25 am, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> > Neil Joseph Schelly writes:
> > > I'm trying to get an UltraSPARC server running Linux, but first I need to
> > > get around in the system and ensure no useful data lingers around on it.
> > > Since Solaris 7 is paingully lacking modern command line utilities, it'd
> > > sure be easier to boot this thing up with a Live CD.
> >
> > I'm curious:  for the task of ensuring that no useful data remains on
> > the system, what utilities is Solaris 7 lacking?
> >

> It's not that it's lacking utilities, but it's frustrating to browse around
> the filesystem, trying to tarball up files, parse for interesting information
> here and there, etc without the GNU versions of common utilities.  It's not
> that it can't be done, but Solaris 7 just 'feels' antiquated these days and
> I'd much prefer to just be able to boot it up in a modern environment to do
> the browsing.  That's the place where I know command line options and in many
> cases, options I take for granted aren't even in the Solaris 7 binaries for
> things like ps, ls, tar, etc...

Ah, not using ps -ef?  /usr/ucb/ps instead of /bin/ps.  I bet you want
the BSD ls behavior too?  /usr/ucb/ls.  Probably some others in
/usr/ucb too.

Hmm, tar isn't gnutar.  I think gzip is in Solaris 7.  SSH is not.

For gnu stuff and other OSS stuff. http://www.sunfreeware.com has
packages for /usr/local

Solaris could really use something like apt or yum.