Traffic shaping/aggregating

Python python at venix.com
Wed Dec 27 08:56:52 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 21:43 -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 12/26/06, hewitt_tech <hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:
> > How about using the LinkSys RV042/82 series router which has dual wide area
> > network connections and can do load balancing?
>
>   How about cutting some text when quoting a message?  ;-)  (Your
> 2-line reply quoted 50 lines of original.)
>
>   Netiquette aside...
>
>   I wasn't aware of those products.  The RV082 looks like a neat little box.
>
>   Do you have any experience with those boxes doing what Bruce wants
> to do?  That is, have one user (LAN IP address) associated with one
> WAN feed, and another user associated with the other WAN feed?  The
> user manual doesn't make it clear if that is even supposed to be
> possible, and LinkSys doesn't always deliver on their claims even when
> they are clear.  :)

I had picked out these boxes as possibly being of interest for use here
for shared Internet access in the building.

>   Any info on hackability of the RV082/RV042 units?  In particular,
> can they be hacked to run a custom Linux firmware?  I found
> http://tinyurl.com/y7hn9b but it's mainly speculation, and about a
> year old.  I found http://openixp.phj.hu/ but it appears to be
> stagnant.

The source code is available, but the lack of wireless seems to have
reduced the overall level of interest.  I looked over the software build
requirements and decided that just getting the cross-compiler and any
debugging emulation to work would be a challenge.  How to convince my
wife that figuring this stuff out would be a fun project for us in the
evenings?
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417110138&packedargs=sku%3D1115416833289&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

>   Cheers,
>
> -- Ben