Traffic shaping/aggregating

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 09:33:18 EST 2006

On 12/26/06, Bruce Dawson <jbd at codemeta.com> wrote:

> My partner and I use VPNs to access our employer sites, and we
> frequently find that we're bottlenecking on uploads. So we decided to
> get a 2nd cable modem so we won't "collide" with each other.

  Small, but important question.  What kind of VPN?  OpenVPN?  PPTP?

Does anyone know of good reference material regarding "aggregating", or
> otherwise combining the two cable modem's throughput into a single
> network segment (using a router - preferably  a Linksys running OpenWRT
> or somesuch)? I'm really looking for a HOWTO type document - or if
> someone knows the commands to execute, that would be a good start!

  Mostly, ISP's need to offer the ability to do this.  A hack and slash
quickie would be, as was suggested, to simply have you use one, and him the
other.  I actually just looked at my m0n0wall install to see if it could
agregate multiple WAN connection, but it cannot.  pfSense, a fork of
m0n0wall, *CAN*, on the other hand, do this out of the box.

http://www.pfsense.com/

  http://www.pfsense.com/index.php?id=36 has a link to one multi-wan
tutorial.  Here's a quote from the FAQ:

"Multiple WAN connections are supported under some circumstances. Only one
WAN connection can be PPPoE, BigPond, or PPTP. The other must be static IP
or DHCP.
Outgoing load balancing is supported, but link monitoring is still currently
under development. This means there currently is no automatic failover
capacity.

Load balancing is on per connection basis, not a bandwidth basis. All
packets in a given flow will go over only one link."

http://www.pfsense.com/index.php?id=36

--
-- Thomas