"Connection Reset By Peer" on ssh sessions

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sun Feb 5 04:45:01 EST 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 14:36, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> wrote:
> > I've got an annoying problem with the new Verizon Fios service.
>
>   I'm shocked -- *SHOCKED* -- to hear of a problem on a Verizon feed.  ;-)

Ha!

I'd thought I'd give them another chance since they went through the effort
of bring fibre to the last mile. My fingers are crossed, though.

> > If I leave an ssh session open and sits idle for longer than 2-5
> > minutes, it is killed with a "Connection Reset by Peer" error message.
>
>   Everyone else has posted good info.  Do what they said.  One thing
> to be certain on, though: If you have an active session for that
> period, it works fine, right?  If so, that would rule out a DHCP lease
> or PPPoE session expiration.

Yes, I have *many* active sessions running all the time, including streaming
audio. Active connections almost never are interrupted.

>   You might do a "before and after" traceroute to see if anything is
> changing in the network topology on the route.  That might uncover
> something.  Also look for RFC-1918 addresses on your connection or
> along the way.  Those will often be a sign that NAT is in use.

I am using NAT myself on the LAN, my side. I can hit the IP Verizon gives me
from the outside, so it would appear Verizon itself is not doing NAT.

> > Any suggestions before I pull my hair out?
>
>   Don't use Verizon?  ;-)

But it's FIBRE!!!!!! ;-)

> -- Ben

-Fred