"Connection Reset By Peer" on ssh sessions

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Sun Feb 5 10:09:01 EST 2006

> I've got an annoying problem with the new Verizon Fios service.
>
> If I leave an ssh session open and sits idle for longer than 2-5 minutes,
> it
> is killed with a "Connection Reset by Peer" error message.

This may not be a Verizon issue at all.  I have always had this problem
with connections through my Netgear router.  Now that I've moved to using
a dedicated router (half-depth server running Linux/iptables), it's not a
problem anymore.

Ultimately, the keepalive stuff ought to work.  It never drops an SSH
connection while in use, so I've done things like 'tail -f
/var/log/messages' or some kind of bash 'while [ 0 ]; do sleep 5; do
something_else;done' loop on the prompt to keep them open longer in the
past.
-N