Notebook Network Issues

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 18:57:01 EST 2006

On 2/7/06, Thomas M. Albright <talbright at albrightent.com> wrote:
> I have an old Acer Extensa 368D notebook computer I want to use as my
> router. I installed Fedora Core 3 and everthing went fine. Or so it
> seemed ...
>
> The network *says* it's running, but I can't get out!
>
> The card is a Netgear FA510
> Restarting the PCMCIA gives me ...

  I suspect we need more information.

  Suggested troubleshooting strategy:

  Boot the machine with the card removed.

  Check the logs and/or dmesg for problems with PCMCIA.

  Check the module list to see what is currently loaded.

  Insert the card.

  Check the logs and/or dmesg for problems with PCMCIA or that card.

  Check the module list to see if additional modules were loaded.  If
so, cross-reference between the modules being loaded and the card.
Make sure they're the right modules for the card, and look for any
known issues.

-- Ben