Notebook Network Issues

gerald.feldman at hp.com gerald.feldman at hp.com
Sun Feb 12 09:36:00 EST 2006

> OK, I still don't know what the problem is. The FA510 worked in RedHat
> 6.2, and 8.0 but just won't work in Fedora Core 3.
>
> I downloaded the PCMCIA package update (to a different computer) and
> used a disk to get it to the notebook. Once I upgrade PCMCIA, I tried
> again. Still got nothing (although the error when restarting pcmcia went
> away). So I tried an FA410 instead of the 510, and it worked. So that's
> what I'm going to use.
>
> Thanks for everyones help! No I just need to figure out if I can use the
> winmodem (LT Win Modem - HSM0a19)
One big difference here is the kernel. Fedora Core 3 uses the 2.6 kernel,
and some modules were not ported to it.

While this may not be relevant, in the class I teach at NEU, we installed
Linux in class. The students had a choice of Fedora Core 4 or SuSE 10.0.
One student with a laptop had previously loaded Fedora Core 4, and was
unable to get the wireless running. When he installed SuSE 10, the
wireless (IPW2200) came right up.