[OT] Locating source of FM radio interference

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 08:31:00 EST 2006

> It's also entirely possible that there is a "pirate" broadcaster -

Heh.  I'm pretty sure it's not a pirate broadcast station
unlesss their demographic studies indicate there's a market
segment that's fond of the sound of motor noise or arcs
discharging.  (And, yes - I realize that the former is likely
just a special case of the latter...)  The interference in
question is a motor-like thrumming with ragged, nerve-jangling
overtones.  It seems pretty clearly localized to one of
several rows of buildings in our condo since it swamps all
other signals around 89MHz when you're within about 100 yards
of that locale.  The jazz aficionado who first reported it has
been very patient but is talking about bringing in the FCC -
I'd love to avoid that and solve it locally, if possible.