Worldpath DSL

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Mon Jan 2 15:01:01 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 20:43 -0500, Lawrence Tilly wrote:
> When the tech first hooked us up I asked if he would have to come back
> out when we go w/ the static IPs, and he said "no"...so I didn't think
> to inquire further at that time.  I really wish I did now since he was
> very helpful and fothcoming w/ info.

Sorry to chime in so late - holidays have been busy.  8)

In any case, I live in Farmington and have Worldpath for my residential
DSL.  When I got the original basic service, I had a dynamic IP address
and the DSL modem would NAT me - meaning that whatever system I had
hooked up to the service would get a so-called "fake" IP address
(usually in the low 10.0.0.x range).  I switched to a single static IP
address and they did not have to come out to make any changes.  They did
the configuration from their end, and just gave me the network settings
to use.  Twas a piece of cake.

With regards to the port 80 management on the modem, I don't remember
checking it before I got the static IP, but I'm pretty sure that port 80
has been open straight through to my IP since.  Keep in mind that unless
you're going with a business line, running a server is technically
prohibited.  Like with most reasonable companies (as few as there may
be), I doubt they're likely to yell at you unless you go overboard.
I've run an ssh server ever since I got the service and nobody seems to
mind.

As far as the service itself, I've been extremely happy.  In the past 3+
years of the service, I've never had a problem (that wasn't caused by me
anyway *grin*).  In fact, quite the opposite.  I've found that my
bandwidth has steadily *increased* through the years.  When I first
signed up, I was getting a max of about 80kB down and 30kB up.  I now
bax out at around 424kB down and 100kB up, with no increase in the price
of service.  Yes, that's a capital B.  Not too shabby for living in the
boonies.

As far as dealing with the folks at Worldpath, I couldn't be happier.
Their techs that have come to the house are always polite, nice,
knowledgeable and helpful.  And the few times that I've needed to email
their tech support have been consistently helpful.  I've had
particularly good luck dealing with an individual named Lance Shaw (hi
Lance, if you're reading!).  He has been extremely helpful and
responsive.

All in all, I definitely give Worldpath an "A+".

--
"The memory management on the power pc chip is something that should be
shown to small children when they've been especially bad." -Linus Torvalds

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com