One more bites the dust

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 22:39:01 EST 2006

Jon maddog Hall <maddog at li.org> writes:

> I saw the announcement of the new Palm Treo 700w today, and thought I might
> take a look at it.  My old phone is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I
> thought I might go for a new Treo.

Yeah, but you're not going to miss much.  The PalmOS software is a
pain, there's no multitasking, the hardware breaks easily, etc.

I'm on my 3rd Treo 600 in 2 years, and this one needs to be replaced
to.  I'm not overly hard on my phone.  The screens are poor quality
which go bad easily, the phone can't take even a simple jolt without
powering off (which you'll never know has happened if it's on
silent/vibrate mode).  The ring tones aren't load enough.  The display
is difficult to read in bright-light conditions... I could go on and
on.

The 650 I don't have any direct experience with, but I know they had
serious performance problems early one.  I know switching between apps
was extremely slow as compared to the 600.  Most people I know aren't
overly impressed with the 650 either.

I'm thinking of ditching my Treo for a Nokia internet tablet (runs
linux).  It's got wifi and blue-tooth, can run xterms and emacs, and
comes with Opera for browsing.  It's exactly what I want, a desktop in
my pocket.  And it's half the price of the Treo 650s or what the 700s
are likely to be.  A friend at work has one and loves it.

--

Seeya,
Paul