One more bites the dust

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Fri Jan 6 22:55:01 EST 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 10:38 pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Yeah, but you're not going to miss much.  The PalmOS software is a
> pain, there's no multitasking, the hardware breaks easily, etc.
I've had Handspring/Palm hardware last for years.  It won't sustain long
drops, but my last Treo (a 650 that unfortunately met another fate) rolled
with me in my last car, fell out the sunroof and was found about 10-15 feet
away on the pavement with just a few more scratches, but otherwise perfect
functioning condition.

And I'm pretty sure being able to talk on the phone while working on my
address book or writing down appointments in my datebook or listening to mp3s
while doing something else or having email automatically checked in the
background qualifies as multi-tasking, or at least close enough that I don't
care.

> silent/vibrate mode).  The ring tones aren't load enough.  The display
> is difficult to read in bright-light conditions... I could go on and
> on.
The volume thing is an old problem they had with the original VisorPhones too
(I had one of them for 4 years) and it was unfortunate they didn't fix it for
the 600s.  That said, I have no complaints of the volume with the 650.  And
the display was much improved between the 600 and 650 too.  I've never found
a light condition that doesn't work with the 650.  It's the kind of display
that you can turn off the backlight entirely and see fine with room lighting
(assuming there's enough).

> The 650 I don't have any direct experience with, but I know they had
> serious performance problems early one.  I know switching between apps
> was extremely slow as compared to the 600.  Most people I know aren't
> overly impressed with the 650 either.
I've never had performance problems that keep it from being a PDA and a phone
and I'm pretty impressed with a couple of the 3D rendered games I've tried
out on it.  The initial problems they had were about space concerns and those
were fixed with a patch quite some time ago and I even got a free SD card out
of it.  I think they more than made up for that oversight.

Anyway, I've never met anyone who didn't love their 600 or 650, but if you're
the type who'd consider a tablet PC instead of a PDA handheld, it probably
just isn't the device for you.  I can't imaging considering a tablet anywhere
in the same league of utility as my Treo.
-N