extract string

Zhao Peng greenmt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:28:01 EST 2006

Kenny,

Thank you for your suggestion.

The following line works:
grep univ abc.txt | cut -f3 -d, >> dev.txt.

While the following line intended to remove quotes does NOT work:
grep univ abc.txt | cut -f3 -d, | sed s/\"//g >> dev.txt
It resulted in a line starts with ">" prompt, and not output dev.txt

Could you please double-check or modify it?

Also, if one column is missing, and "," is used to indicate that missing
column, like the following (2nd column of 3rd line is missing):

"name","age","school"
"jerry" ,"21","univ of Vermont"
"jesse",,,"Dartmouth college"
"jack","18","univ of Penn"
"john","20","univ of south Florida"

Does the "cut" approach still apply? If not, what command would you
suggest to address this missing issue?

Thank you again.
Zhao