Homework problems (was: extract string)

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Tue Jan 10 19:32:01 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 04:01:05PM -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> > Now your Lug can achieve its financial funding goals simply by charging
> > 25 cents for each shell scripting homework problem answered and 50 cents
> > for extended explanations such as rendered below. :-)
>
>   I was wondering if I should raise the "Ya know, this looks an awful
> lot like a homework problem to me..." question.  But I also considered
> the following:

My "homework business model" was simply a tongue in cheek comment
'cause I was leaving and didn't have time to add anything
substantive to the thread.

>   Assume it is a homework problem.  Does it make a real difference
> whether the student learns the material from the text book, this list,
> or some random web page found via Google?

I've always found all of the above to be useful tools for
learning.

Well, not always - Google hit a dry spell from 1973 to 1997
or thereabouts....   :-)

umm - wait a minute...

(Googles for Google founding date.. )  1998.

>   And if the student hands in a Perl one-liner in a basic class on
> shell scripting, the resulting student/instructor discuss will
> doubtless by very educational.

heh heh, very!

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Brandeis

To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is
madness. -- Eugene Ionesco