Fonts in Open Office question(s)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Fri Jan 20 11:49:00 EST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:56:35AM -0500, Bill Freeman wrote:
> 	I'm editing a document in OO, and the font select box on the
> tool bar indicates that some of the text is, for example, "Arial".
> But when I click the drop down (or use the context menu) to see font
> choices, "Arial" is not there (whether the cursor is in "Arial" text
> or not).
>
> 	Keeping consistent use of font seems important, so I often
> want to add text in one of these fonts.  While I've been successful
> propagating this font by using cut and paste, this is a PITA.  How can
> I get these fonts, of which OO apparently knows, to show up in the
> font selection menu?

I think OO knows what font is requested, but aliases them to a font it does
know.

This was a nagging problem for me, as my vacation reports were done in
word, but I edit them in OO and print them out.  It winds up being two
pages instead of one due to font issues.

I was able to install(*) the MS fonts from my VMWare Microsoft Windows
slice and the page appears correct now.  This is a bit different from
your later questions about making sure that layout is correct when going
between different versions and platforms of word, but should help a lot.

-Mark

(*) Install = copy TTF fonts from my directory to the "Fonts" folder in
Gnome (or nautilus).  YMMV depending on the distro/interface you use.
Left as an exercise to the reader.  Contents unstable.  Hold away from
hands.