The rest of the world and geeks

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jan 25 09:09:01 EST 2006

On 1/24/06, Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> wrote:

> Yes, and the big problem with that is the technical knowledge currently
> required to handle to encryption technology like, say GPG. Outside of us
> geeks, it's simply beyond the average person. Watch them eyes glaze over
> when you try to explain the difference between "public key" and "private
> key", "plain text" and "encrypted text", "passphrases" and why they need
> be so long, "key rings", and the like.

I was watching "Madagascar" the other day.  It's set in a zoo with a lion,
zebra and 4 penguins (I'm reducing here).

The Penguins are trying to escape the sheltered life of the zoo.  They're
organized w/ a leader & everyone having tasks.  They're digging a tunnel and
the "shovels (spoons)" are broken.  One goes out, jumps out of the water &
snatches one from a zoo visitor.  They're resourceful.

They dig into the zebra area.  The zebra wants to go into the wild now
though he has now idea how.  He tells his lion friend.  The lion says "We
can't do that".  "The penguins are doing it" says zebra.  "But the penguins
are psychotic!" says the lion.

I'm sure we can relate more to the penguins then the lions and zebras of the
world.  I'm sure some of us may have started as zebras.

----
"But the penguins are psychotic!" - Alex