The rest of the world and geeks

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Jan 25 10:12:01 EST 2006

> On 1/24/06, Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> wrote:

>> Outside of us geeks, it's simply beyond the average person. Watch them
>> eyes glaze over when you try to explain the difference between "public
>> key" and "private key", "plain text" and "encrypted text", "passphrases"
>> and why they need to be so long, "key rings", and the like.

<weenie>
Pragmatically, I somewhat agree, but have to disagree in principle.  One
of the most enlightening experiences I've ever had was jury duty: 13 of us
(including an alternate) sat through days of the most mind-numbing
testimony regarding real estate that I've ever heard -- or ever want to
hear.  And yet these non-geek folks with whom I sat remembered the arcana,
the judge's instructions, and the testimony at least as well -- if not
better -- than I did.  I have to say, it affirmed my belief in the jury
system, and put lie to the joke about being judged by people not smart
enough to get out of jury duty.

However, the average Joe -- when not on jury duty, at least -- may have no
*desire* to go and learn all about the stuff you mentioned above.  To say
that it is beyond them, however, I have to take issue with.  Since said
"average person" has an IQ of 100 (by definition), I think it is improper
to state that it is beyond them -- any more than real estate transactions
are beyond me; while I know next to nothing about them, it's through
ignorance, not ability.  And, yes, my eyes *did* glaze over in court.
</weenie>

> "But the penguins are psychotic!" - Alex

I have to agree.

As for the movie, I give it 2 stars -- but the Penguins' bits get 4.  The
"this sucks" scene will go down in my memory as perhaps the single best
word:time movie ratio out there.  (~ 30 seconds, two words.  It's a visual
thing.)