PHP Templates and/or Web Frameworks

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Fri Jan 27 15:02:01 EST 2006

Working on my third major PHP application, and it's time to stop re-
inventing the wheel. I'd welcome some recommendations on tools,
templates and/or frameworks.

I've got a couple of simple PHP apps in production. Lotsa data,
simple layout. These were ugly but workable apps, where the client
was delighted with tables in black, border 1 with white backgrounds.
Just the facts, ma'am. That much artistic talent I have.

The next client is interested in a public-facing application, with
lots of data and dynamically generated pages. Ideally, I'd like a
templating engine or web framework where the business logic can be
encapsulated separately from the interface, and the interface
portions could be edited by a graphic designer with his or her choice
of tools (Dreamweaver, GoLive, Mozilla, etc.).

I've played around with PEAR's HTML_Template_ITX and they look okay.
A peek at SourceForge tells me that everyone has written a framework,
version Zero-Point-Four, "fast approaching version one" as one page
put it. No surprise there.

I'd welcome recommendations from those who have actually shipped an
app based on a PHP framework or templating package they'd recommend
(or warn me off!). Basic specs: XHTML 1.0, CSS, data entry/CRUD
application with MySQL 4.1x as backend, managed hosted RHEL4
dedicated server environment.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com