Application auto-restart?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at proximatech.net
Mon Jan 30 09:26:01 EST 2006

On Mon, January 30, 2006 8:57 am, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> Hi all...
> A while back I recall someone mentioning a script / application that
> watched a process and restarted the app if it crashed...

Well, there are DJB's daemontools, with its "svc" application.  It's
pretty robust, but also spews out MASSIVE amounts of garbage to the
console if you botch its /etc/inttab install.  I, personally, wrote a
little Perl thang that ran from cron once a minute, and, upon not finding
the corresponding tasks, re-started them and sent an e-mail, though that
was several years ago.  [Note, of course, that this relies upon cron,
itself -- which I have had fail from time to time.]

-Ken