libg2c and g++4

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 18:41:01 EDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Adam Helbling <ahelblin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   So /usr/lib/libg2c.so.0 exists, but /usr/lib/libg2c.so does not?
>> Odd.  Have you tried (re)running "ldconfig" (as root)?
>
> I did run this, and it reported nothing. It also did not add libg2c.so
> to our /usr/lib/ path.

  Well, then, it must not think that's the right action, for whatever
reason.  Probably a bug, as you suspect.

>>   Also, try "rpm --verify --file /usr/lib/libg2c.so.0".  That should
>> verify the installation of whatever package owns the file in question.
>>  No output is good; output indicates potential problems.
>
> I also ran this, and had no output.

  Well, that's good, in the sense that it means RPM thinks your system
is intact.  (Bad in the sense that a corrupt package install, while
rare, is an easy fix.)

> Or even why would -lg2c not link to
> libg2c.so.0 if that was the only available libg2c library.

  Linking is almost pure magic to me, but I don't think the linker is
that smart.  I'm guessing those symlinks are the entire mechanism for
determining which library to use.

-- Ben