USB over ethernet

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Jul 17 12:03:01 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:22:30AM -0400, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> Does anyone know of any drivers that support USB over ethernet?
>
> I'd like to access the USB devices on a remote workstation as if they
> were on the local system.

Bruce, IIRC the LTSP project implements that ability.  Using their tools
the server is able to read and write to/from USB devices, floppies and
what not. There is nothing to prevent you from using those same tools on
your systems even when they are not thin clients and servers.  The LTSP
servers and clients are all just Linux boxes.  The thin clients get
the kernel they boot from an NFS mount rather than a local hard drive.
Everything else is the same. (pretty much.. but of course, smaller. :) )

I don't remember the exact names of the tools that do that right now but
IRC on freenode #ltsp is a good place to ask.

Speech Recognition Technology was used to create this e-mail