USB over ethernet

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Mon Jul 17 12:34:01 EDT 2006

Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:22:30AM -0400, Bruce Dawson wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of any drivers that support USB over ethernet?
>>
>>I'd like to access the USB devices on a remote workstation as if they
>>were on the local system.
>
> Bruce, IIRC the LTSP project implements that ability.  Using their tools
> the server is able to read and write to/from USB devices, floppies and
> what not. There is nothing to prevent you from using those same tools on
> your systems even when they are not thin clients and servers.  The LTSP
> servers and clients are all just Linux boxes.  The thin clients get
> the kernel they boot from an NFS mount rather than a local hard drive.
> Everything else is the same. (pretty much.. but of course, smaller. :) )

Yes. LTSP appears to support only USB-storage devices (and via
SMB/samba). This is fine for thumb drives, but not for webcams (or
whatever those little cameras that clip onto your monitor are called).
I'm sure there are other devices too.

> I don't remember the exact names of the tools that do that right now but
> IRC on freenode #ltsp is a good place to ask.

Its mostly samba with a bunch of glue scripts.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling its going to be a chore getting it
all to play together.

--Bruce