USB over ethernet

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Jul 17 12:59:00 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 12:33:03PM -0400, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:22:30AM -0400, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone know of any drivers that support USB over ethernet?
> >>
> >>I'd like to access the USB devices on a remote workstation as if they
> >>were on the local system.
> >
> > Bruce, IIRC the LTSP project implements that ability.  Using their tools
> > the server is able to read and write to/from USB devices, floppies and
> > what not. There is nothing to prevent you from using those same tools on
> > your systems even when they are not thin clients and servers.  The LTSP
> > servers and clients are all just Linux boxes.  The thin clients get
> > the kernel they boot from an NFS mount rather than a local hard drive.
> > Everything else is the same. (pretty much.. but of course, smaller. :) )
>
> Yes. LTSP appears to support only USB-storage devices (and via
> SMB/samba). This is fine for thumb drives, but not for webcams (or
> whatever those little cameras that clip onto your monitor are called).
> I'm sure there are other devices too.
>
> > I don't remember the exact names of the tools that do that right now but
> > IRC on freenode #ltsp is a good place to ask.
>
> Its mostly samba with a bunch of glue scripts.

No - its much more advanced than that (IIRC)  they have made some
special efforts to support block devices.

ltsp's localdev support only requires fuse, in terms of kernel support.
fuse is in mainline.

But web cams are purported to be character devices and are not supported
right now.

> Thanks for the info. I have a feeling its going to be a chore getting it
> all to play together.
>
> --Bruce

Speech Recognition Technology was used to create this e-mail