Solved: Problem with bash login.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Jul 26 14:50:02 EDT 2006

On Friday, Jul 14th 2006 at 12:57 -0400, quoth Steven W. Orr:

=>I used to view myself as one of the top authorities on bash issues.
=>
=>How in the Wide Wide World Of Sports do I get my .bash_profile to execute when
=>I log in using gdm. (I've always been a startx kind of guy.) This machine is
=>not something I can modify.
=>
=>It's a debian sarge distro with gdm running. The .bashrc is run but I get no
=>environment variables. There gots to be some way to do dis.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Setting up a .xsession file is the
correct solution to the problem. The quirk is that the file must be
executable even though it is sourced in.

steveo at syslang.net