Stupid question regarding Thunderbird and IMAP

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Jul 26 19:59:01 EDT 2006

Fred wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I have a really stupid question that I hope some of you have an answer to.
>
> I have a few clients that use Thunderbird as a IMAP email client to manage
> their email. They are having a dilly of a time creating subfolders within
> subfolders with Thunderbird -- and also Squirrelmail.
>
> I am using Dovecot as the IMAP server. Is there some configuration detail to
> allow subfolder creation? Or are these email clients simply broken in this
> regard?
>
> KMail has no problem in this regard, but my (human) clients are running
> Windows for the most part. :-(
>
> Any suggestions? Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Or is there a real
> issue with Thunderbird (and Seamonkey and Mozilla and SquirrelMail)?

Did you set up dovecot to use Maildir folders? If the folders are in
Maildir format, then creating subfolders should work fine; if they're
in mbox format, then it's a real pain.

I'm actually not sure if mbox subfolders works within dovecot at all;
when I ran dovecot with mbox folders in the past, the only thing I found
that worked for me was to ssh to the server and mkdir the parent folders
by hand.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9