Which CPU are we waiting for to get VM hypervisors in hw?

bmcculley at rcn.com bmcculley at rcn.com
Sun Jul 30 22:51:00 EDT 2006

Carefully reading those references leads me to believe it will be considerably longer than that before we'll see laptops shipping with the new technology, and the first reference points out that they'll still be using the same supporting chipsets so there won't be any huge advantage over present dual-core systems.

That jibes with my impression from the Lenovo roadmap we had at work a week or so ago.  That covered both laptops and desktops through '07, to the best of my recollection nothing memorable was said about virtualization technology or new chipsets - that could just be that I missed it, or that they were being careful about preannouncing, or that the new technology will take some time to appear in shipping products.

I'd say it will largely depend on how you balance price vs performance.  And how you feel about bleeding edge technology.

-brucem