Which CPU are we waiting for to get VM hypervisors in hw?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jul 31 12:37:01 EDT 2006

On Jul 30, 2006, at 20:19, Ted Roche wrote:

> I'm tempted both by the ThinkPad T60p and the MacBookPro. Both run
> Core Duo.  While I know these are capable of running VMs, I'm hearing
> that a next generation chip is going to have more capability in the
> chips to provide more powerful VMs. The technical details are beyond
> me, but my questions are simple enough: does anyone know what's the
> timeline on these new chips, and will their delivery in laptops make
> all that much perceivable difference or are the features more aimed at
> big iron (8-way and up) machines.

I'm waiting to make a similar decision until after WWDC.  The Mermon
has AMD's 64-bit x86 extensions and runs one of 30% faster or 40%
cooler (and is pin-compatible with the Yonah).  It should also be
possible to load up a 4GB machine with Mermon, which will be nice for
running 4 or 5 OS's when needed.

Before the IBM sell-off Lenovo was reported to have a deal with the
Chinese penal authority to have their machines assembled by inmates,
which include political prisoners.  It would be hard to promote Free
Software on one of those.

When the US State Department announced a large purchase of Lenovo
ThinkPads (since cancelled maybe?) the press reported the machines were
to be made in North Carolina.  All I've found is that that product
design team is in Raleigh, but nothing on manufacture.   Does anybody
here know anything about Lenovos make in NC?

I had also looked into Clevo and Acer laptops which looked pretty good
and in the price range of a Dell.  At the time I crossed them off the
list because of their glare-type screens, but it looks like 3M's
Privacy Guard screen cover can be used to add an anti-glare coating
back to a glare-type screen so I might reconsider them again.

Are there any laptop manufacturers who actually support Open Source
Software to a significant degree these days other than Apple?

-Bill
-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/