Free kernel memory

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Jun 2 13:08:01 EDT 2006

On 6/2/06, klussier at comcast.net <klussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Ah, yes.... The question of "Why?". That was my first question,
> > > too. The reason behind it is silly, really. Basically, it is so
> > > engineers and QA can more easily track memory leaks in their
> > > code. If they can see the amount of "actual free memory", then it
> > > will somehow help them find their problems....
> >
> > Isn't this what profilers are for?
>
> Yup. And that is why we have been using Valgrind, and we are now looking
> at Purify. I don't claim to understand the request. I guess they want to
> make sure that the kernel is efficient in it's memory handling, and by
> flushing the cache, they can control the memory usage? What do I know, I'm
> just a sysadmin :-)

Hey, they're engineers.  They like to design things, see what makes them
tick and get into the details.  Just because you've been doing this kind of
thing for x years longer then them doesn't mean you know more.

I have engineers trying to spec out NAS w/o my input.  They order things
like http://www.raidzone.com which we purchased 8-10 months ago.  *sigh*.