Speed of Java (was: Linux on old laptop in two stages)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 11:32:00 EDT 2006

On 6/5/06, Richard Soule <richard.soule at oracle.com> wrote:
> I've got a 1.6GHz Pentium laptop with 2GB of ram and I'm able to run the
> below in quite a usable manner:

  Keep in mind the context of the original post was a 100 MHz laptop
with 40 MB of RAM.  Your video subsystem prolly has more RAM then that
whole laptop.

  My own experience is mainly on PCs with 128 MB or 256 MB of RAM, in
the 1 GHz range.

  The fact that an IDE runs well on a machine with more RAM then the
capacity of my first four hard drives combined doesn't really impress
me much.  :-)

> JDeveloper is a great big huge Java program that you can download for
> free... Want to give it a try and let us know what you think?

  Not in the least.  :-)

-- Ben