Speed of Java (was: Linux on old laptop in two stages)

Lawrence Tilly mail.list.tilly at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:28:00 EDT 2006

First, I agree that the laptop mentioned above is probably
underpowered for modern Java development.  I'm fairly happy running
Eclipse and other Java-based apps on my systems that are >= 512MB /
1GHz, but haven't done much on anything smaller for a few years.  For
that machine if the user is only planning on executing fairly basic
apps then it may be fine but much more...

That being said, the "Java is slow" discussion is one that is sticking
around as a concept longer than reality may justify. Right up there
with "Linux is not ready for the desktop".

I actively follow some Java game developer's forums and am playing
with some of the newer technologies out there.  Some of what's being
down now is as fast and responsive as "traditional" 3D games on the
market. There are definetly BAD examples of Java performance as well,
but there are bad examples of any language. Some good reading for
anyone interrested in this issue:

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffOnPerformance

<insert disclaimers>
-L