custom kernels and heterogeneous hardware

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 22 15:29:00 EDT 2006

> Anybody know if there's a practical limit to the size of an
> initrd today?  I think it was 2.88MB floppy size at one point.

You might be thinking of the restrictions on the booter image
used with bootable CDs.  I believe the only restriction on the
size of an initrd is how much RAM you're willing to dedicate
to it, which might be quite a lot if you keep in mind it can be
reclaimed once you start using your "real" root device.