Racks and servers and HD's, oh my.

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Jun 23 08:14:04 EDT 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 09:26, Thomas Charron wrote:

> Additionally, we need Raid over at
> least 2 drives, and room for a spare PCI slot.

That's tough if you're going to be using 3.5" drives.  As Bill
mentioned, you need power in the back so you've got less than 17.5"x12"
of space to work with which is the footprint of a big laptop.  Can you
get away with laptop drives?   How about solid state instead of hard
drives?

That's what I've been doing for firewall work - importing OEM boxes
from Taiwan and using the CF slot for storage.

I've been getting them with a CF slot, a Pentium M 1.7, a quarter GIG
of ram (max 1.2), 2x100 & 2x1000 LAN, 1 PCI, 1 mini-PCI, 1 serial and 2
USB.  They have headers for VGA, PS/2 and parallel for development work
but no permanent ports (dremel if you need it).  Also an LCD panel and
watchdog timer that I haven't had a chance to hack into m0n0wall yet.
Oh, they measure 17.6"x8.27"x1.7".

If you need a few I can add on to an order I'm going to be putting in
in the next couple weeks.  Or I can dig up something better than my
ratty data sheet for you.  But there's only 1 3.5" bay (which I usually
leave empty).  I think there's room in that bay for two laptop drives
if you can accept imperfect mounting and maybe snipping out the 3.5"
mounting rails to pick up an extra half inch all around.

-Bill
-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/