Friday afternoon hardware questions

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jun 26 10:45:01 EDT 2006

On Jun 23, 2006, at 16:56, Ben Scott wrote:

>  Are you saying the case has front LEDs, but no wires on them?  How
> odd.

yeah...

>  The connectors that go on them are, I believe, essential the same
> thing as a "jumper".  It's just that rather then jumping from one pin
> to the other, there are two wires coming out.
>
>  Googling for jumper+connector+wire appears to yield pretty good
> results.

Thanks.  That helped get me googling.  I started there, wound up
searching for '2-pin cable' based upon results and then stumbled upon
'ID-bit cable' which led me here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?
c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021806&p_id=696&style=&seq=1&format=1#largei
mage

which makes some sense - these are the same kind of cables you would
have used to jumper an external SCSI push-button ID selector.  The old
SCSI hard drives had a bank of maybe 6 connectors, 3 for id-bits, one
for activity indicator LED, one for read-only, and one for spin-up
delay.

Note to the intrepid - find someone selling them with an affiliates
account and put up a webpage called 'hard drive indicator cables' with
a link to them. ;)

-Bill
-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/