Just when you think you've seen it all...

hewitt_tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 19:27:00 EDT 2006

I had rather rough Monday. One of my clients had their server blow it's boot/main drive over the weekend. I was on site for a completely different problem when I heard someone ask "Is Alex here to see why the server is down?". I opened the case of the Dell SC430 and heard the infamous "click of death". Several hours later after replacing the drive and restoring from a couple of backups I got back to my office and called Dell. Interestingly this system had about 90% of it's parts replaced at almost exactly the 90 day point. That included the system drive. It was replaced because it was seeing a bad block every couple of days over the last few weeks of it's operation. So the new hard drive was an identical Maxtor Sata hard drive that lasted barely 5 weeks.

Here's the interesting aspect - I called Dell and they agreed to send a replacement drive. I called them at approximately 5 pm. 5 minutes ago a courier showed up at my front door with the replacement drive! That's a little over two hours after I called Dell. BTW, the new drive is a Seagate. Maybe the Maxtor's aren't holding up too well? ;^()

-Alex