Just when you think you've seen it all...

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Jun 27 01:42:01 EDT 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 23:33, Scott C. Mellott wrote:

> Dell finally fessed up and said they were going to recall all of the
> Maxtor drives.

I tend to use Seagates (I know the guy who's been fixing their QA
system for the past few years) and haven't been a big fan of Maxtor,
but they're not that awful.  These sound as bad as the Hitachi
DeathStar line.

Does anybody know if Dell gets 'special' hard drives from its
suppliers, or if they're the same as retail?  I know Dell is the King
of Low Price and they're very good at getting deals from their
suppliers (I've bought A/V gear from them on more than one occasion)
but my experience has been the money saved over a better server is
quickly flittered away, often in installation and almost always over
the life of the machine.  I got one SC server I had to deal with that
had a realtime clock that wasn't Linux compatible.  I thought the IBM
AT solved this.  But if you need a Camcorder, go for it.

Oh, and y'all need RAID-1 mirrors. C'mon, and extra IDE drive is like
$40. :)

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/