Kubuntu on Mac - printers, gnucash

Tyson Sawyer tyson at j3.org
Wed Jun 28 11:37:01 EDT 2006

A friend of mine has a Mac G4 something or other.  She had been
running Yellow Dog on it, but we couldn't figure out how to get a new
printer working.  While reformatting everything anyway, we decided to
try kubuntu.

FYI:  With both Yellow Dog and Kubuntu we ran into yaboot problems,
but seem to have that sorted out.

Printers:

Kubuntu knows about the Epson R220 printer.  On my own PC systems I
configure it as an R300 and it works fine.

The problem is we can't get the system to "see" the printer properly.
It shows up in /proc/bus/usb/drivers, and we were able to get YDL 4.1
to print complete junk on it, but we can't get Kubuntu to do anything.
 Two of the offered drivers refuse to configure (stating something
about a missing driver and/or permission denied) and the other reports
that the printer is disconnected despite what /proc says.

We used a uri to identify the printer: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R220

This was taken from a PC laptop that works with the very same printer.

I could type for ever about possibly irrelivant or misleading details,
but I'm not sure that would be useful.

Any suggestions?

Gnu Cash:

Any suggestions on finding a gnucash package that will run on this
system?  ...or strategies for finding packages that are not obviously
listed?  I find it easy to google for rpm packages for PCs.  I've been
less successful looking for deb packages for PPC.  rpmfind.net doesn't
do the trick for me. :-)

Thanks!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster