Kubuntu on Mac - printers, gnucash

Stephen Ryan stephen.p.ryan at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Jun 28 12:43:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 11:36 -0400, Tyson Sawyer wrote:
> A friend of mine has a Mac G4 something or other.  She had been
> running Yellow Dog on it, but we couldn't figure out how to get a new
> printer working.  While reformatting everything anyway, we decided to
> try kubuntu.

(sorry, I'm no help with the printer; I've switched to a networked laser
after realizing I was spending well over $1/page with the utterly crap
Stylus Photo 820)

> Gnu Cash:
>
> Any suggestions on finding a gnucash package that will run on this
> system?  ...or strategies for finding packages that are not obviously
> listed?  I find it easy to google for rpm packages for PCs.  I've been
> less successful looking for deb packages for PPC.  rpmfind.net doesn't
> do the trick for me. :-)

Gnucash is part of Ubuntu; you'll need to add the "universe" repository,
because it's not part of the officially-supported core, then you can
install it either via "apt-get install gnucash" or searching for it in
Synaptic.

Detailed instructions for dapper:
---------------------------------

Start Synaptic, click "Settings", then "Repositories".  That shows a
list of channels; find and select "Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (binary)", then click
"Edit".  Check the "Community maintained (Universe)" selection, then
"OK", "Close", and "Reload".  After Synaptic downloads the new package
lists, gnucash should be in the package list, easy to install.

Alternative instructions, should work for any version of Ubuntu:
>From a command prompt, run
$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
(or run a different editor than nano; I'm not sure what the KDE text
editor is called)

In that file, there should be a line that looks roughly like this:

deb http://(country code).archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ (release name) main
(maybe some other words)

Make sure the word "universe" appears on that line.

Save and quit nano.  (nano uses Control-O, "WriteOut", for save)

Now download the new package lists; alternatively, you could use
Synaptic from here on out; that part of Synaptic hasn't changed as much
as the interface to change the repositories has).
$ sudo apt-get update

...and install gnucash:
$ sudo apt-get install gnucash
(say Yes to whatever the huge pile of stuff it will want to install)