Stupid ebay/amazon question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Jun 29 12:02:01 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 11:35:56AM -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 6/29/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> >I don't know how likely that is, but there is no technical reason why
> >this should ever be a requirement, which means that if this is
> >happening, it would be either malicious or ignorant.
>
>  You forgot "apathetic".  A lot of organization know they play fast
> and loose with customer data, but just don't care.  Or, at least,
> don't care enough to do something about it.  Sometimes they feel a
> little bad, I guess.

I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt with 'ignorant' --
but I consider known issues exposing customer data to be malicious
insofar as they are not holding up their end of customer expecations.
Regardless of the reason for that being "We would like to expose your
data" or "we don't care if we expose your data", as a customer, the
difference is null: if you know my data is being exposed, and you don't
do anything about it, you're just as much at fault as if you do it on
purpose.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer