Stupid ebay/amazon question

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 12:13:01 EDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt with 'ignorant' --
> but I consider known issues exposing customer data to be malicious
> insofar as they are not holding up their end of customer expecations.

  Given that most organizations follow explicit practices which
conflict with customer expectations, that's kind of a tough nut to
crack.  Witness your average privacy policy, AUP, ToS, EULA, warranty,
credit agreement, etc, etc.

> Regardless of the reason for that being "We would like to expose your
> data" or "we don't care if we expose your data", as a customer, the
> difference is null: if you know my data is being exposed, and you don't
> do anything about it, you're just as much at fault as if you do it on
> purpose.

  Absolutely.  My point was just that malice is a lot easier to fight
than apathy.  Malice we general respond to with fines, imprisonment,
or even death.  If we applied those standards to apathy, we'd have to
incarcerate most of the human race.

-- Ben