Experience with Cyberonic/Covad?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:03:00 EST 2006

On 3/16/06, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> Cyberonic/Covad

  My information is a little dated at this point, but as of a a couple
years ago:

  DSL feeds consist of a LEC (Local Exchange Carrier) providing the
signal on the wires and CO equipment, and an ISP that uses that to get
you on the Internet.  They don't have to be the same.  LECs are either
ILECs (Incumbent LEC, i.e., a Big Bell like Verizon) or CLECs
(Competitive LEC).

  Now, your choices for DSL in most areas is either the ILEC or Covad.
 There are almost no other CLECs doing DSL, except for the odd-ball
local ISP who didn't get the memo about the bubble bursting, or major
metro areas where competition paid.  Most "DSL providers" are just
using Covad DSL.  Even AT&T in Boston was a Covad feed.

  (During the big DSL market meltdown a few years ago, Speakeasy had
an amusing slogan: "Speakeasy -- We pay our Covad bills".  :-)  )

  Given that, I would expect that if you can get Covad, you can use
any Covad ISP.  Meanwhile, I've heard nothing but praise for
SpeakEasy.  So you might want to give them a call.

> 6 M up / 768 down for $99 month

  That up/down better be backwards!  ;-)

-- Ben