In Linux, no one can hear you Wine

Lawrence Tilly mail.list.tilly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 09:38:00 EST 2006

Ok...sorry for the cheezy tag line.

I turn to you all in desperate hope that someone can offer some aid in
a few issues I'm having with Wine.  I have talked to a few people and
been doing a LOT of Google time and reading but it seems for so many
people Wine "just works" now days.  Once again, I'm exceptional.  :-)

Here's the story.  I basically am just trying to get some older
Windoze games running.  I've been keeping my W98 / Celeron 333MHz box
chugging along in pain for WAY too long just so I have some place to
feed my addiction.  I first tried Wine under Debian, then agian in
early 2005 when I switched to SuSE 9.3 and yet again now that I moved
to SuSE 10.  In the Debian and SuSE 9.3 incarnations I tired
installing Wine from source, but when I went to 10 people told me to
trust SuSE and just just install Wine out of YaST.  I made very little
progress way back on the Debian install, but both of the SuSE attempts
( from source and from YaST have had the same results ).  Everything
seems to "just work" EXCEPT sound.

I have so far tried two different games ( Master of Orion II and
Pharaoh ) with the same results.  I'm able to run the installation of
the DOS game, and in the case of Pharaoh where it has music playing
during installation that sounds fine.  As soon as I try running either
game though, they appear to play fine but absolutely no sound effects
or music comes thru. The opening movies and cut sceens are as silent
as in-game activity.

I'm having a few other minor annoyances ( display resizing probs and a
couple programs complaining about versions ) but those are all
secondary to just getting some sound here. Any help would be greatlly
appreciated.

-Lawrence