In Linux, no one can hear you Wine

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:33:00 EST 2006

On 3/27/06, Lawrence Tilly <mail.list.tilly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   FWIW: It has been some time, but I used to run Starcraft under WINE
>> with excellent results.  Full sound and video.
>
> Did you build your install from source or was it from a Deb or RPM package?

  As I recall, I started off with the wine package the distribution
provided, but later downloaded and built Wine from sources to fix some
problem.  I don't remember what the problem was.

> Also, did you use ALSA for sound?

  I don't think ALSA existed yet.  Certainly not beyond the early
development stages.

> Considering the packages currently coming from YaST are fairly recent
> and people have siad it "just works" for a year or more, I have to
> think I just have some flag or conflicting config somewhere.

  First, I'd check for sound servers and other programs holding the
sound device open.  That's a common source of trouble.  I'd also check
permissions.

  If none of that helps, Wine is capable of producing gobs and gobs of
debug output.  In many cases, software can tell you what's wrong with
it.  Look there.

-- Ben