car box

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Mar 28 15:22:01 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 2:55 pm, Christopher Chisholm wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> Over the past few months as my 90' celica has been inching steadily
> closer to its ultimate demise, I've been thinking a lot about where we
> are with certain technologies, and how I could obtain them in a future
> car.  One thing I've always wanted but had never been willing to spend a
> lot of money on has been a GPS unit.
I currently have GPS running on my Palm Treo using a BlueTooth GPS receiver
for a total cost of well under $300. The maps come on an SD card. While I
use this in my car, I can throw the receiver in a shirt pocket. There are a
number of companies, such as Mapopolis and TomTom that supply the mapping
software. I rejected TomTom out of hand because the only way to install the
maps is via Windows.

The current retail units run for about $800 for the top of the line Garmin
and Magellan units to under $500.

Some friends have mapping software on their laptops using either wired or
wireless GPS receivers.

One of the major differences in the low cost GPS maps I have and the top of
the line Gramin is that the Garmin can set waypoints, subscribe to traffic
bulletins, and look up hotels, restaurants and brothels. With the
Mapopolis, I simply enter an address or mark an end point. It has settings
for highway, highway neutral, avoid highways, as does most other units.

In general, the after-market units like the Garmin and Magellan have more
features than the more expensive built-in units.

A friend of mine very much prefers the size of the laptop screen to the
smaller commercial units and my Palm, but he lives in a motor home.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group