Brother can you spare a SCSI drive?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sun May 14 19:41:01 EDT 2006

I have system on my home network that is basically
just cobbled together from skanky old spare parts.
It's configured with an old 9Gb SCSI drive as the
system disk and a couple of 120Gb IDE drives as a RAID.
The SCSI system disk has developed thermal problems where
it runs perfectly for several hours and then suddenly
becomes useless until it's shut down and cools off.

The path of least resistance for me is just to swap
in another SCSI drive, reload Linux and then bring the
system back into service, which consists primarily of
serving that RAID to the rest of my network.  So I wonder
if anybody has an old SCSI drive that I could have for
free or cheap.  The failing drive is a Seagate ST39140W
that's been running since ~1999 in various systems.  I
think the interface is the familiar single-ended 68-pin
wide SCSI, so I'm looking for basically anything that
could be swapped into the system in place of that, and
I think that I don't care about capacity or form factor.

With such big, fast PATA/SATA drives available nowadays
I'm hoping there's a small retired SCSI drive sitting
lonesome on somebody's shelf that needs a good home...

TIA,
  --M