Makefile question with no answer?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue May 16 10:49:01 EDT 2006

On Monday, May 15th 2006 at 23:07 -0000, quoth jim.mcginness at att.net:

=>Steve, we may be misunderstanding what you want to do in part because
=>what you've asked for seems to misunderstand what a makefile does.
=>
=>Take a look at your dependency line for "clean" for instance. Chances
=>are that there are no dependencies listed for it. The action list for
=>"clean" is simply going to be taken unilaterally whenever the "clean"
=>target is requested. There's no other place where you can add hidden or
=>global dependencies to "clean".
=>
=>You haven't said this, but what it sounds like you may want an _action_
=>to occur whenever make processes this makefile. There could possibly be
=>a way to do this, depending on the flavor of make.

You're exactly correct. I think what I said was that I wanted a dependancy
to be processed but in fact my dependancy was a PHONY so yes the goal is
an action. I'm running gnu make-3.81 but I just haven't found what I'm
looking for.

--
steveo at syslang dot net TMMP1 http://frambors.syslang.net/
Do you have neighbors who are not frambors?