PySIG, 25-May-2006: Bill Sconce and Python Generators

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon May 15 21:11:00 EDT 2006

WHEN: May 25th, 7 PM
WHERE: Amoskeag Business Incubator, Manchester (directions at bottom)
WHO: Bill Sconce, Fearless PySIG Leader
WHAT: Generators in Python

The next meeting of the Greater New Hampshire Python & Milk/ Cookies
SIG will be one week from this Thursday's fine MerriLUG meeting --
Thursday, May 25th, at the Amoskeag Business Incubator, 7:00 P.M.
(the usual place, the usual time). Bill Sconce will be the featured
speaker, on "Why Python is Neat, Part IX -- Generators"

Python has a wealth of features which are designed to make your life
easier as a programmer, and to improve the chances that code which
"looks right" to you IS right.  The savings can be tremendous,
especially when "right" code avoids pernicious but common problems
such as picket-fence errors.

This presentation discusses one of the powerful structures which
every Python programmer uses daily: the humble "for" loop.  There's a
lot more going on in a "for" loop than meets the eye!  We'll examine
what Python does for you behind the scenes, and demystify how
generators let you easily and transparently help Python help you --
that is, how to capitalize on built-in generalized structures to
create nearly-bugproof specific structures which solve YOUR problems.

Bill has been using high- and low-level programming languages since
learning about Fortran as a TA.  (We're not saying how long ago that
was, but Fortran II was very new.)  He claims to have achieved or
faked proficiency in another 20 or so languages since then, and
almost every week finds new evidence that Python is the best one so far.

We'll also have our usual Q&A, and Python trivia.  Because several
people asked us about Python at LinuxWorld last month we'll include
some material for newbies.  (Please be thinking about that - should
we have a newbies segment EVERY meeting?)

There may also be cookies and milk again, depending...   :)

Directions:  http://www.snhu.edu/amoskeagincubator/directions.html

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com