Stale NFS handle...

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Thu May 18 15:42:01 EDT 2006

I'm a wee bit confused, here.  I had a mountpoint, /mnt/foo, which mounted
a remote server.  The server rebooted.  I did a "umount /mnt/foo", and it
unmounted fine.  I even rmdir'd /mnt/foo, and it went away.  Now, however,
when I try to re-mount remotehost:/bar/foo, it tells me "stale NFS
handle".  Since the remote host rebooted, I assume that the stale portion
is on the local host... but I normally associate stale NFS handles with
things that won't unmount.  What's going on?  And, more importantly, how
do I fix it?

Thanks,

-Ken