Wonderful world of new dists..

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 17:54:54 EST 2006

  Ok guys and gals, I'm looking at dists that are out there, and I'm really
leaning twards Gentoo for my laptop dual boot/VMWare.  This is a brandy
spankin new laptop, Toshiba P105-9722, Intel Core 2 Duo 7400, 2 gigs ram,
blahblah.

  What are people opinions of the 'state of distros' right now?  I
particularly like KDE personally, but I tend to make it look nothing like
windows after a while.  What distros have the latest greatest neatest etc?
What supports, oh, say, laptop hardware the best?  I was also looking at
Kabuntu for the hardware discrovery side.

  I've been using Debian for years, but I'm just in the mood to try
something that doesn't make me feel like McGyver when I install a new memory
card, device, etc..

  Thomas