And we were just beginning to like SLED -- Re: Microsoft to sell Suse Linux?

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Fri Nov 3 12:20:22 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 17:27:39 -0500
"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I also can't help but think, a la Fark and Admiral Ackbar, that
> "It's a trap!".  If you look at the history of Microsoft, every
> business "partner" they've ever had has gotten stolen from, ripped
> off, and screwed over.  I don't know why this would be any different.
> Time to sell Novell stock short, perhaps?

SLED was, by all reports, a really nice desktop.  It's too bad.

-Bill

One Tim Patterson comments ("Hovespian" is the name of Novell's CEO):

    Hovespian Fell Into the Trap...

    It's all about the patent agreement.

    After the Q&A segment it was clear that the patent agreement was
    a defacto acknowledgement by Novell that Linux violates MS patents.
    Ballmer made it clear that the patent agreement protects ONLY users
    of SuSE Linux. When questioned about wether the patent agreement
    covered technology which will be developed or if it covers MS
    patents already existing in Linux the attorney made it clear that
    the agreement protects existing Linux in the form of SuSE.

    So MS has found the big Linux vendor foolish enough to "legitimize"
    a patent claim on Linux by Microsoft. This makes it easier for MS
    to claim that Linux infringes their "IP" and claim that Novell
    recognized this "fact" and struck a deal.

    Now it's only a matter of asserting claims against all distributors
    except Novell thereby thinning the herd and finally, deal with
    Novell SuSE last.

    Nice going you Novell morons.

    After using SuSE for years it looks like it's time for a change.

Posted on: 11/02/06
http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12558-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=26994&messageID=507468&start=-1