Transportable HDD recommendations or warnings

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Tue Nov 7 12:12:57 EST 2006

On November 07, 2006, Ted Roche sent me the following:
> I see the local big boxes have regular promotions for Western
> Digitals, Seagates, Maxtors and SimpleTechs.  Any recommendations
> pro- or con- or are these pretty much commodity items?

I've been poking around a little lately looking for an external drive
to back my laptop up onto. You might be better off purchasing an
external enclosure and a retail or OEM drive rather than one of the
pre-packaged external drives. Not only does this tend to be slightly
cheaper, but it seems that a lot of the big names provide much better
warranties on internal drives than external drives.

For instance, Western Digital will give you a 5-year warranty on an OEM
internal drive, but only a 1-year on their MyBook external drives.

Personally, I've got my eye on a macally PHR-100SU enclosure[1], it
takes a 3.5" SATA drive and provides USB and SATA connections (not eSATA
though.) They make a number of enclosures with various connections, and
seem to get pretty good reviews.

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817347003

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>     http://kyzoku.2bithacker.net/