Transportable HDD recommendations or warnings

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:08:20 EST 2006

On 11/7/06, Michael ODonnell <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:
> Looking through the comments in the source codes for the USB
> drivers I gather that ... it's a fscking miracle that things work
> as well as they do.

  Yah, I've heard the same.  "Standards compliance" is, apparently,
considered optional.

  I recall coming across a driver in the Linux kernel that was
designed specifically to help in these situations.  It was kind of
like the regular USB mass storage driver, but tried to be conservative
in what it sent, checked everything it got six different ways, and
generally worked around a lot of drain bamage.  I think it was in the
2.4 series.  That might be worth exploring.

-- Ben